Okay! Countertops are blossoming before us. Building green has been great in so many wholesome ways and has been the genesis of some very very cool products! May I introduce the extraordinary recycled glass countertops by ThinkGlass.
ThinkGlass is aggressively pursuing a green standing in their manufacturing processes and end products; they have a nice pitch on their environmental position. Below is a piece off of their website which gives you an idea of what goes on behind the scenes at ThinkGlass.
By the way, I recommend going to their site to look at all the images in their gallery, just incredible! I can’t say what these retail for because each is so unique, but hey… no cost to finding out! Come by our Design Center and we can get you in the ballpark.
Ps. The problem with working for The Artisans Group is that I end up wanting to remodel every time a new way cool product comes out! …. currently, I’m envisioning my kitchen island countertop made of recycled glass back lit at night… or maybe my small bath vanity with an undermount sink…
Here’s what ThinkGlass says:
Each countertop is unique but shares some commonalities:
- Glass countertops 1.5″ thick or more
- A smooth, glossy contemporary finish on every piece, with a huge choice of available imbedded textures.
- Custom designs with infused color to create your personalized artistic touch.
- Single seamless pieces made up to 7′ x 10′.
- Durability that rivals any common countertop product.
Why ThinkGlass countertops are sustainable and a healthy choice :
- 100% fully recyclable
- No sealants or harsh chemicals are used to produce them
- Maintenance-free and highly durable
- No emissions released and no negative impact on air quality
- Radon free (compared to granite)
- Certified NSF International (Standard 51-Food equipment material) as safe for use as a food preparation surface
- 10 points LEED for Homes
- 23 points NAHB Model Green Home
If you are an architect or a designer, make sure to consult our LEED and NAHB (PDF, 86.8 KB) document which gives you the details on how ThinkGlass can help you get more points for green homes.
We are working towards getting more LEED points to become even more sustainable and to offset our carbon footprint ! ThinkGlass countertops are attractive and produced in a socially responsible manner!
At ThinkGlass, our green policy is not only a statement, it’s a way of life! Bertrand Charest and Michel Mailhot, the two founders, are nature lovers who want to protect the environment.
Here are some of the initiatives we have undertaken:
- We are using rain water to operate our glass-cutting equipment
- All our waste and scrap glass are recycled
- We make a point at recycling all cardboard, metal, paper and plastic used in the plant and the office
- We have decreased our energy consumption by taking different measures like lowering the heat at night.
- All our crates used for transportation of our products are made with dead wood that has been harvested on private lands. We prioritize sick or fallen logs to avoid cutting healthy trees.
- We contribute a part of our profits to World Wild Fund International (WWF)
- Our workers have good working conditions
Posted on December 01, 2009