NEWS TO USE
We get so caught up in our excitement that we forget to share sometimes. Design, Architecture, Building Science and the ecological possibilities of Passive House...and all the tangents therein.
Pardon us, we get a little over insulated sometimes (and maybe too punny).
ARTISANS GROUP NEWS
OLYMPIA COFFEE ROASTING COMPANY ROLLS INTO SEATTLE
That’s right. Following the beautiful success of their flagship remodel, Olympia Coffee continues to stretch out and share their coffee prowess. We’re excited; they’re excited; you’re excited! And it’s not just the coffee.
Quality in craft, because craft matters.
2017 BEST OF THE SOUTH SOUND
South Sound Magazine held their 2017 Best of the South Sound awards.
We feel really fortunate to be part of, and recognized by, such a dedicated and forward thinking group of regional professionals.
Kudos to all!
NEW PASSIVE HOUSE IN THE CITY
We’re building a Passive House single family home, right in the middle of Olympia.
In a bustling neighborhood filled with architectural accents of modernism, this charming family home is being constructed to the most stringent energy efficiency standard in the world. This is not hyperbole.
This home is excited about life!
The windows that welcome with the glow of natural light, are site modeled to maximize heat gain while minimizing overheating. With a Heat Recovery Ventilator, the home will have a constant supply of fresh air while venting the humidity but retaining the heat necessary to maintain a comfortable and constant indoor temperature. You actually help heat this home by using your hairdryer! *deep breath*
In the history of people on earth, we have come up with some pretty amazing innovations. Passivhaus is a revolution in home comfort because it appeals to our hard earned knowledge of physics and craft.
We’ll be hosting a neighborhood and community gathering this summer, so keep checking in and we’ll fill you in on all of the details.
You can also follow us on Instagram, to stay up-to-date on our happenings.
PASSIVE HOUSE NEWS
- Vancouver B.C. actively promotes the Passivhaus building standard by removing regulatory barriers and encouraging construction. The city even put together a phenomenal Passive Design Toolkit that dishes up a solid foundation of Passive House principles.
- Oslo’s new airport is Passive House certified! This is pretty a propos in Passivhaus world. Norway, afterall, brought us the amazing Fram. Another article about Oslo’s new airport. Frankly, this is incredible. I want to schedule a long layover in Oslo. Give me an hour or eight to wander around the airport. Of course, Norway makes a great architectural vacation anyway…
- The Sustainable Energy Programme of the Mohammed Bin Rashid Space Centre, created the world’s first certified Passive House in the Middle East. Construction Week Online provides a condensed breakdown of some strategies for meeting Passivhaus standards in an intensely hot region.
- Mysterious and unnamed authors build a Passivhaus retreat in Martha’s Vineyard. Totally fun. Beautiful wood tones throughout.
- Some interesting prefab homes, including a prefab Passive House.
- Cornell University is crossing the narrow bridge between Passive House and NetZero with its Bloomberg Center. The NY Times also published an article about it.
- Kansas City discovers Passive House.
- The Fort St. John Passive House is certified LEED Platinum.
- New Zealand is getting Passive House fever.
- A new Mechanical Ventilation & Heat Recovery Unit is Passive House certified, meaning more options!
And...last but definitely not least…
- Passivhaus dog door! Believe it or not, this element of a Passivhaus can be crucial. As a dog friendly office (we host three on any given day), we recognize the importance of sharing your revolutionary comfort with your canine family.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS…
September 27 - October 1, 2017 Seattle, WA
Seattle hosts the 2018 North American Passive House Conference. We’ll keep you updated as this gets closer. This is an amazing knowledge and skill sharing opportunity. And it brings a lot of Passivhaus excitement to the Pacific Northwest.
THANK YOU FOR READING
You made it all the way to the end of our post this week.
We are The Artisans Group, form and function minded Design+Build professionals dedicated to designing and crafting your dreams.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Posted on June 05, 2017